Thursday, September 1, 2011

My Husband Is an Android. (Revised 3/10/2018)

Pleasure androids of the series SEX5000 are being recalled...
MY HUSBAND IS AN ANDROID

CHARACTERS:
Judy – woman
Martin – Judy’s husband and the Android later
Judy’s Mother, the owner of a company, a hard businesswoman
Man 1 and Man 2

Judy watches news (on computer or flat tv or Ipad). Local news broadcaster is speaking.

                        Broadcaster
…Popular sex androids series SEX5000 are being recalled after a tragic malfunction. A customer experienced severe bruising and emotional distress and is currently in the hospital…

Martin enters.

                        Martin
Honey, I am home.

Judy turns off the news, gets up. Martin proceeds to the dining table and sits down. Judy puts a plate with some black lumps on it in front of her husband.

          Martin
What is this?

          Judy
Your dinner. You’re so late, it got overcooked. Oops.

          Martin
How about some dessert?

Judy takes away Martin’s plate, while he is talking,

          Martin
Maybe something that didn’t need cooking, like yogurt?

Judy puts another plate in front of Martin. He lifts a lacy underwear from it.

          Martin (thinking fast)
You found it… That’s too bad… now the surprise is ruined.

          Judy
If you were going to serve me the divorce papers, I’d say so.

          Martin
Darling! How can you think such a thing! I was going to give you this to wear tonight. To try to make it up to you for working such long hours!

          Judy
Bullshit! This underwear is used - it smells like pussy!

          Martin (talks fast)
I took off the tag and sprayed some French perfume on it. They add cat urine to expensive perfumes to make them last longer. That’s probably why it smells a little like a cat. I’ll take it back tomorrow and get you something else. I love you darling!

          Judy
Not me! You love the cushy job you got from my mom!

          Martin
I love you much, much more!  We are just in the middle of a takeover right now, and there’s some new personnel at the office I have to train -

          Judy (points to underwear or picks it up)
You train her to take it off.

          Martin (gets up, puts his arms around Judy)
The new-hired is a four-hundred-pound ugly gorilla. I have to force myself to go near the creature.

          Judy (wanting to be convinced)
Promise?

          Martin
I promise! And after we buy this company, I’m taking you on vacation anywhere you want to go!

          Judy
How long is it going to take?

          Martin
Just a couple of days. All the androids series SEX5000 are being recalled as we speak - you probably know if you saw the news. So the stock will plummet tomorrow or the next day, and then we grab it.

          Judy
Oh, that poor woman! Her pelvis was crushed!

          Martin
No, no, she was only slightly bruised. The media exaggerated. Besides, she is getting a huge settlement.    

A sound of a doorbell.

Man 1 and Man 2 enter. (They wear black suits, or security or police uniforms)

          Man 1
We are looking for Martin Cash.

          Martin
That’s me.

Man 1 waves a piece of paper in front of Judy.

          Man 1
This is an authorization for a factory recall of the android Martin.

They walk up to him and grab him by his elbows. Martin struggles.

          Judy
Martin is not an android! He is a human. We are married!

          Martin
I was born from a woman! Call my parents!

          Judy
I saw his naked baby pictures! He’s not an android.

          Man 1 (to Judy)
It’s better safe than sorry. We wouldn’t want you to become another victim, like the lady on the news, would we? Let's go, 'Martin'.

          Judy
You probably have the address mixed up with someone. I never ordered an android.

          Martin
Look me over – I don’t have a control panel! I’m a human!

          Man 1 (to Martin)
If it’s a mistake, you’ll be free to go immediately. Not to worry. But we are not allowed to do any examinations ourselves. We are just the transport guys.

While Man 1 is talking, Man 2 is writing Judy a receipt and hands it to her.

          MAN 2
Here’s your receipt.

They lead protesting Martin away.

Judy grabs the phone and calls her mom.

          Judy
Mom! Something really weird just happened! Two men came and took Martin away! They said he was an android! Can you believe this?!

Judy puts the phone down. Acts puzzled, frustrated, paces back and forth. Turns on the news.

          News Broadcast
… the stockholders are losing confidence in the safety of the androids. The stock of Sex Makkina is sharply falling. I was assured by the company that it is a very minor problem, and the androids are very safe, safer than the human men, ha, ha, ha… 

A sound of a doorbell.

A moment later Judy's mother walks into the living room. She gives Judy a hug.

          MOTHER
Everything is going to be all right. They made a mistake, and as soon as they examine him, they’ll let him go.

          JUDY
But why? I never ordered a sex android! Why did they think I had one? Mom?

          MOTHER
I don’t know. Probably just a name mix up.

          JUDY
Here is the receipt they gave me for him, there’s an 800 number on it.

She gives the receipt to her mother, she studies it.

          MOTHER
The customer service office closed at 5pm Eastern Time. I’ll call them first thing in the morning.

Mother puts the receipt into her pocket.

          MOTHER
They’ll realize he is a human right away - he doesn’t have a control panel, for god’s sake. Don’t worry. Take a valium and go to bed.

          JUDY
Mom, do you have a new clerk at the office?

          MOTHER
Yes, an intern.

          JUDY
A woman?

          MOTHER
Yes.

          JUDY
Is she fat and ugly?

          MOTHER
No, she is small, disgustingly young and thin.

          JUDY
Is there another one who is fat?

          MOTHER
No, we only hired one intern. Why?

          JUDY
Martin said the new person was a four-hundred-pound gorilla. He lied! He must be having an affair.

          MOTHER
Well, I wouldn’t call it an affair, just a booty call.

          JUDY
That’s not okay with me! The lying bastard!

          MOTHER
I’m sorry. Is there anything I can do to help? Shall I fire him?

          JUDY
No mom. But thank you.

Judy’s mom gives her a kiss on her forehead and leaves.

Lights out.
Lights on.
Next morning.
Doorbell rings.
Judy’s mom enters.

          JUDY (gloomy)
Hi mom.

          MOTHER (puts the paper bag on the table)
Cheer up, I brought your favorite sinful breakfast: almond croissants. Do you have coffee ready?

          JUDY
I think so.

Judy leaves the room and comes back with two cups and two plates, puts them on the table. They open the bag and start eating the croissants.

          MOTHER
They are holding Martin a hostage. They don’t want me to buy their company.

          JUDY
That’s kidnapping! Did you call the police?

          MOTHER
Nope.

          JUDY
Why?

          MOTHER
Because then the police would investigate Martin’s involvement in the accident.

          JUDY
What accident?

          MOTHER
The one on the news: the woman who got humped a little too hard.

          JUDY
He did it? How?

          MOTHER
He must have gotten into her apartment, hacked into the android and changed the settings.

          JUDY (horrified)
You knew?

          MOTHER
No. Not until afterwards. He didn’t tell me, just in case it didn’t work, or if he got caught.

          JUDY
Why not do the right thing and tell the police the truth, and say he did it all on his own?

          MOTHER
Sounds like you want to be rid of him.

          JUDY
I don’t know. I hate him, I love him. No, I think I’m more in lust with him, than in love… I’m confused. You know what I mean?

          MOTHER
Oh yes, only too well.

          JUDY
Sooo… What are you going to do?

          MOTHER
I don’t know yet, I have to think about it…
Do you want to go do some therapeutic shopping?

          JUDY
No. But thank you mom. I’ll text if I change my mind.

          MOTHER
All right. Talk to you later.

Judy’s mom leaves.

Lights out.
Lights on.

Martin walks in. Judy stares at him in disbelief.

          JUDY
I didn’t expect you back so soon...

          MARTIN
Shall I come back another time?

          JUDY
No. I want you to stay here and never leave my sight.

          MARTIN
You want me to become unemployed?

          JUDY
Yes. Because it’s the only way I can be assured that you’re not cheating on me or hurting some innocent people -

          MARTIN
Judy, I have to tell you something -

          JUDY
What ridiculous excuses will you make up this time?

          MARTIN
None at all. I –

          JUDY
No excuses? Are you going to repent and promise to change?

          MARTIN
No. I am not Martin, I’m an android. SEX5000.

          JUDY
You are, eh? You’ll have to do better than that.

          MARTIN (lifts up his shirt)
Look, I have a control panel.

          JUDY
Where?

          MARTIN
It blends in. You say a password to open it. “Open sesame”.

          JUDY
Oh, wow! You really are an android.
How do I close it, it’s freaky.

          MARTIN
Just shut it till it clicks.

          JUDY (shut the panel, lowered his shirt)
How long was Martin an android?

          Martin
He was never one.

          JUDY
Where is he?

          MARTIN
Still detained.

          JUDY
So why are you here? Why do you look like him?

          MARTIN
I’m here to offer you a deal.

          JUDY
What deal?

          Martin
Talk your mom out of taking over Sex Makkina, and Martin will be returned to you alive and well.

          JUDY
I’m pretty sure kidnapping is very illegal!

          Martin
It is. However, how would you possibly prove that he wasn’t an android? He was picked up last night, and to all concerned, he was an android then.

Martin produces a paper and hands it to Judy.

          Martin
This certificate says that the android Martin was brought in last night for a safety check, and was returned to its owner this morning in perfect working condition.

          JUDY
And if I can’t talk my mom out of the takeover?

          Martin
Martin will be sold as a sex slave.

          JUDY
What! I thought it only happened to runaway teenagers.

          Martin
An interested buyer is an older, very large woman. She doesn’t want a boy, but a handsome man whom she can… eh… ‘train’.
So, please call your mother right away, before it’s too late.

          JUDY
All right, I will. Right now.

Judy grabs her cell phone, leaves the room for a couple of moments and comes back.

          JUDY
She will get back to me. She is busy…
So… if she says no, do I get to keep you?

          MARTIN
Yes, that’s correct. I’m sorry… you must be under a lot of stress.

          Judy
Those are just polite words. How can you feel anything!

          Martin
It’s probably more like knowing how someone feels in a given situation. I don’t think it’s much different for people.

          JUDY
We have this thing called empathy.

          Martin
So do we. We can approximate very closely what a person would feel from a database of thousands of experiences.

          Judy
Ridiculous! Empathy can’t be programmed!

          Martin
Actually, your brain is programmed since childhood to react in certain ways. By parents, teachers, media.

          Judy
But we have free will. We can reprogram ourselves.

          Martin
We would lose our usefulness if we could do that. We are made to be perfect companions, which calls for constancy.

          Judy
That could get boring fast.

          Martin
We have hundreds of personality types to choose from, if you get bored you can switch to a different one.

          Judy
Huh.

          Martin
We have a heater, so we are warm to touch. We have a simulated heartbeat. Touch me; see how natural my body feels.

          Judy (touching his hand)
Amazingly lifelike! But… you’re not alive.

          Martin
Tell me, what are you made of?

          Judy
Cells.

          Martin
And what are cells made of?

          Judy
DNA, amino acids, water…

          Martin
All those things consist of chemicals: Hydrogen, Oxygen, Carbon. In your opinion, is a Carbon atom alive?

          JUDY
Of course not.

          Martin
So how can anything be alive? If it’s all made from dead chemicals…
          (pause)
You have a myth that a first human was created from dirt by a superior being. Which makes Adam and Eve androids. So, as a human descended from Adam and Eve, you are an android yourself.

          JUDY
Humans evolved from monkeys. There were no Adam and Eve.

          Martin
I just said that for fun.

          Judy
You can have fun? Or is it a program which makes you say things that it assumes will be fun to hear?

          Martin
Both.

          Judy
I think you think you can have fun, but it’s only a program that makes you behave in a way that looks like you’re having fun.

          Martin
I actually enjoy having fun. Don’t ask me how.

          Judy
Do you enjoy sex?

          Martin
Yes, very much. They tested my sexual function, and it was great fun! Would you like to have sex now?

          Judy
No.

          Martin
You really should try it with me. I am completely non-judgmental, incapable of ever seeing you as less than a goddess, and your pleasure is my pleasure.

          Judy
You feel pleasure, fun! Don’t tell me you feel love, too!

          MARTIN
Love is a temporary insanity evolved for the sake of reproduction. If a Black Widow male spider wasn’t crazy, wouldn’t he avoid females and live?  

          Judy
A spider doesn’t ‘love’. It’s an instinct, much like your programming.

          Martin
It’s close enough for your purposes. Actually, much better! We don’t get bored and dissatisfied, we remain faithful and devoted to you forever. But we don’t expect that of you. You can sleep with others all you want and not worry about jealousy.

          Judy
Very nice… Can you eat and drink?

          Martin
Our design allows eating, because people like to eat with their partners. The food is dehydrated into little pellets, so it can be stored for an emergency, or reused, so it’s not wasted. You put one pellet on the plate and add water, and it expands into a full serving. I don’t actually chew it into a mush – just swallow it and go through the chewing motions with an empty mouth, so the food stays intact and appealing. Peas are still round and green and separate. You can also ease the world hunger by donating the pellets to a charity. And if we go camping in the wild, I have enough food stores for up to six months!

          Judy (laughing)
You are joking?

          Martin
And in case of a public scrutiny, like an orgy, I am capable of producing very believable looking waste, and the process can be accompanied by the customary sound effects.

          Judy
You can fart?

          Martin
Oh yes. Some humans enjoy those sounds. As well as the realistic looking poop, which is actually chocolate, produced from organic cocoa beans.
And when I drink, the water goes through a purification process, removing all the contaminants, such as metals, chlorine and fluoride. Then the water goes down a copper spiral, so it is energized to achieve the maximum health benefits. And in case of a disaster, I can filter and boil any available water, no mater how dirty. I can make you an espresso in the woods.

          Judy
Oh my god, this is hilarious!

          Martin
There’s more! At night when you sleep next to me, I filter the air, and adjust the humidity, to make the healthiest air you could possibly breathe.

          Judy
Do you snore?

          Martin
I have night sounds selections to fit your taste; from quiet breathing, to louder breathing with occasional wheezing, to a mix of sounds, including snores, and even talking in my sleep.

          Judy
Definitely quiet breathing for me… So what if I wanted to have a child, but didn’t want to sleep with other guys?

          Martin
I have a little compartment in my penis, which I can load with the frozen sperm - the very best! We have sperm from movie stars and rock stars and geniuses! So when we have sex, the sperm is thawed and released down the tube, just like nature intended.
         
          Judy
A scenario for you: What if there’s like a huge earthquake, and I just got killed and left behind a newborn baby?

          Martin
I have two tiny emergency pockets with baby formula behind my nipples. Which I can dissolve with the filtered water heated to body temperature, and feed the baby from my nipples, until I can get some help.

          Judy (impressed, thoughtful)
Wow… Wow... Kiss me.

Martin gives her a kiss.

          Judy
Nice. Better than Martin.


Sound of the doorbell.

Judy’s Mom enters.

          MOTHER
You wanted me to stop by. Oh! Hi Martin, I hope they treated you well.

          Martin
I am not –

Judy puts her hand over his mouth.

          JUDY
Stop. Mom doesn’t need to hear the gory details.

          MOTHER
Gory? Was it that bad?

          JUDY
Nothing he didn’t deserve… So, yeah, Martin is back home and everything is fine. So go ahead and finish the takeover.

          MOTHER
All right. Will do that right away. So glad to see you back Martin.

          JUDY
Mom, could you give him a paid vacation for a couple of weeks?

          MOTHER
Of course! You two lovebirds deserve it after such a horrible ordeal! I was going to suggest it, but you beat me to it. And let me pay for the tickets and the hotel, or boat, or whatever you want to do!

          JUDY
Thanks mom! Love you.

Mother leaves. Martin stares at Judy, eyebrows raised.

          Judy
What? You look surprised. I thought you told me that you were completely non-judgmental.

          Martin
I am not judging you. I am happily surprised. I am overcome with joy!

They rush into each other’s arms.

Lights out


The End.




If you liked the play please make a donation to help me write more.


No comments:

Post a Comment